Rodney Sanders took command midway through Saturday night’s 40-lap feature and went on to win the 10th Annual USMTS Slick Mist Show-Me Shootout presented by Foley Equipment.
Sanders, of Happy, Texas, held off Dereck Ramirez and Terry Phillips in a two-lap shootout after a pair of late cautions wiped out his big lead.
It was the two-time series champ’s 91st career USMTS win, but his first triumph in a Modified at the Lucas Oil Speedway.
“We won a Late Model race here a couple of years ago, but I kind of have a love-hate relationship with this place,” said Sanders, the Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship points leader who picked up his fifth series win of 2019.
It was worth $3,000.
“You can go out and win one night and not make it out of the “B” Main the next,” Sanders added. “But if you have a good car, you can come from deep in the field.”
Which the 29-year-old had to do after being forced to come through a Real Racing Wheels “B” Main after a sixth-place heat race finish.
That left Sanders started outside of row seven in the main event with a lot of work to do.
Tyler Wolff of Fayetteville, Ark., got the jump from his outside front row starting position and roared to the lead, building a two-second cushion over Hunter Marriott by lap seven.
As Wolff began to encounter lapped traffic by lap 10, Marriott cut into his lead and was within a couple of car lengths when the first caution waved on lap 12.
Phillips, a two-time winner of this event, was running third and Sanders had moved all the way from 14th to fourth.
Sanders gained momentum after the restart and soon was in second, then used a high-side pass out of turn four to move past Wolff and into the lead to complete lap 20.
It looked as if the race would go green the rest of the way with Sanders checking out.
He was leading Phillips by more than three seconds when a caution with just two laps remaining wiped out that cushion and gave Phillips and third-running Ramirez a two-lap chance to steal the win.
Sanders was up for the challenge. He finished about three car-lengths clear of Ramirez with Phillips third, Marriott fourth and Jake O'Neil fifth.
“I was really tight down on the bottom and I had to really hit my marks to make it go down there,” Sanders said of the late restarts. “I can't thank my crew enough. We struggled all night long. We were in a fire drill all night long.”
The top three were the same as Thursday night's event with Sanders (center) and Phillips (right) swapping positions. Ramirez (left) finished second both nights.
Phillips, who won the Casey’s Hunt for the USMTS National Championship opener on Thursday at the 81 Speedway in Park City, Kan., had to make a quick engine change after blowing a motor during hot laps.
His crew did so in time for him to earn a heat race win.
“We were fortunate to get where we’re at,” Phillips said of his night. “I wish we’d have had a little more time to work on the car, but that’s the way it goes. We were fortunate to get up there and stay in Dereck’s way in the heat race. The new motor wasn’t running. It was just thrashing.
“But all in all, it was a pretty good night.”
Jason Hughes came from 16th to finish sixth in the main event while local ace Jason Pursley of Hermitage nabbed a seventh-place paycheck.
Jared Russell, Chase Domer and R.C. Whitwell rounded out the top 10.
Movin’ on to Monett: The series moves south to the Monett Motor Speedway in Monett, Mo., on Sunday for the 10th Annual Missouri Nationals and the first visit to the ‘Grand Ol’ Lady’ since it’s ownership change in 2017.
Sixteen USMTS events in all have been staged at the high-banked 3/8-mile red clay oval enjoying its 50th consecutive season of racing, but weather and scheduling conflicts have kept the series away for nearly four years.
Phillips garnered three of his 28 career wins at Monett, including the third ever in 2005. Ryan Gustin also has three wins which came consecutively in 2009, 2011 and 2012 while Hughes has a full set too. Johnny Bone Jr. and Kelly Shryock are two-time winners here while Sanders, Mark Noble and George White have one apiece.
Sunday’s show will be rounded out with action in the Doug's Pro Lube USRA B-Mods, Legends Cars, Don's Auto Repair Midwest Modifieds and Pure Stocks. The pits open at 3 p.m., grandstand gates open at 5 and hot laps begin at 6:30 with racing to follow.
Race fans can get discount coupons good for $2 off adult general admission at Casey's General Stores locations in Aurora, Carthage, Cassville, Diamond, Miller, Monett, Mount Vernon, Neosho, Pierce City and Sarcoxie. Hunter Marriott and his No. 62 Snickers machine will be greeting fans at the Casey’s located at 728 U.S. Hwy. 60 W in Monett from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Monett Motor Speedway is located 1.0 mile east of SR 37 on US 60, then north on Chapel Dr. For more information visit monettmotorspeedway.com.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit usmts.com. You can also like the USMTS on Facebook, visit us on Instagram, follow us on Twitter, connect with us on LinkedIn and watch us on our YouTube channel. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS and subscribe to our e-Newsletter.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship
Casey’s Hunt for the USMTS National Championship
10th Annual USMTS Slick Mist Show-Me Shootout presented by Foley Equipment
Lucas Oil Speedway, Wheatland, Mo.
Saturday, Aug. 3, 2019
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. The top 12 in heat race passing points advance to the Casey’s General Stores “A” Main.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (2) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo.
2. (6) 4r Jared Russell (R), Muskogee, Okla.
3. (4) 38c Jason Pursley, Hermitage, Mo.
4. (5) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan.
5. (7) 21 Ryan Middaugh (R), Fulton, Mo.
6. (3) 747 Colton Eck (R), Goddard, Kan.
7. (8) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Earlham, Iowa.
8. (1) 35 Chris Cole (R), Cache, Okla.
DNS – 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (1) 227 Chase Domer (R), Nevada, Mo.
2. (2) 87 Darron Fuqua, Mayetta, Kan.
3. (3) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
4. (7) 134 Robert Heydenreich (R), Bolivar, Mo.
5. (8) 292 Kyle Thompson (R), Joplin, Mo.
6. (4) 19sb Lance Mari, Imperial, Calif.
7. (5) 8 Jeremy Vaughn (R), Pocola, Okla.
8. (6) 96t R.C. Whitwell, Tucson, Ariz.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
2. (3) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
3. (4) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
4. (7) 9 Jerad Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
5. (5) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan.
6. (2) 12 Scotty Allen, Urbana, Mo.
7. (6) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
DNS – 2g Brandon Givens (R), Wichita, Kan.
SUMMIT RACING EQUIPMENT HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (3) 17 Mike Striegel (R), Wheatland, Mo.
2. (2) 03 Chase Jones (R), El Dorado Springs, Mo.
3. (7) 0 Jake O'Neil, Tucson, Ariz.
4. (4) 88 Chad Wheeler, Muskogee, Okla.
5. (6) 51 Lucas Gibbs (R), Udall, Kan.
6. (5) 24d Donnie Fellers (R), Wheatland, Mo.
7. (8) 21 Johnny Fennewald, Appleton City, Mo.
8. (1) 22h Dustin Hodges (R), Centralia, Mo.
VP RACING FUELS HEAT RACE #5 (8 laps):
1. (3) 4w Tyler Wolff, Fayetteville, Ark.
2. (4) 3j Jake Nightingale (R), Wichita, Kan.
3. (1) 65 Tyler Davis, Haysville, Kan.
4. (5) 5 Robbie Reed (R), Mexico, Mo.
5. (7) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn.
6. (8) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
7. (6) 8s Jon Sheets, Nevada, Mo.
8. (2) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (15 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (3) 65 Tyler Davis, Haysville, Kan.
2. (13) 96t R.C. Whitwell, Tucson, Ariz.
3. (4) 5 Robbie Reed (R), Mexico, Mo.
4. (1) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
5. (2) 9 Jerad Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
6. (12) 8s Jon Sheets, Nevada, Mo.
7. (5) 88 Chad Wheeler, Muskogee, Okla.
8. (6) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustoms/ChevPerf, $90.
9. (8) 747 Colton Eck (R), Goddard, Kan., GRT/Hillsboro, $75.
10. (7) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan.
11. (11) 8 Jeremy Vaughn (R), Pocola, Okla., Hughes/BMS, $90.
12. (10) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Earlham, Iowa., Hilsabeck/Mullins, $90.
13. (9) 12 Scotty Allen, Urbana, Mo., Allen/Mullins, $75.
DNS – 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa., Hughes/TriStar, $90.
DNS – 22h Dustin Hodges (R), Centralia, Mo., VanderBuilt/Crane, $90.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (15 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (7) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
2. (2) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
3. (1) 134 Robert Heydenreich (R), Bolivar, Mo.
4. (4) 292 Kyle Thompson (R), Joplin, Mo.
5. (11) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
6. (5) 21 Ryan Middaugh (R), Fulton, Mo.
7. (3) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan.
8. (8) 19sb Lance Mari, Imperial, Calif., MRT/Yeoman, $90.
9. (14) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo., MBCustoms/Durham, $90.
10. (10) 21 Johnny Fennewald, Appleton City, Mo., GRT/Hatfield, $75.
11. (6) 51 Lucas Gibbs (R), Udall, Kan.
12. (9) 24d Donnie Fellers (R), Wheatland, Mo.
13. (12) 35 Chris Cole (R), Cache, Okla., MBCustoms/Yeoman, $75.
14. (13) 2g Brandon Givens (R), Wichita, Kan., Hughes/Mullins, $75.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (14) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustoms/Hatfield, 40, $3100.
2. (9) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/Cornett, 40, $1700.
3. (5) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, 40, $1100.
4. (4) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo., Rage/KSE, 40, $900.
5. (7) 0 Jake O'Neil, Tucson, Ariz., LG2/Cornett, 40, $800.
6. (16) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $700.
7. (12) 38c Jason Pursley, Hermitage, Mo., GRT/Midstate, 40, $500.
8. (3) 4r Jared Russell (R), Muskogee, Okla., Hughes/Thomas, 40, $450.
9. (1) 227 Chase Domer (R), Nevada, Mo., GRT/Schultz, 40, $400.
10. (15) 96t R.C. Whitwell, Tucson, Ariz., Lethal/Mullins, 40, $500.
11. (19) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustoms/ChevPerf, 40, $450.
12. (10) 87 Darron Fuqua, Mayetta, Kan., MBCustoms/Driskell, 40, $425.
13. (24) 21 Ryan Middaugh (R), Fulton, Mo., GRT/Creason, 40, $275.
14. (29) 88 Chad Wheeler, Muskogee, Okla., MBCustoms/Durham, 40, $375.
15. (27) 51 Lucas Gibbs (R), Udall, Kan., MBCustoms/Bailey, 40, $250.
16. (26) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 40, $325.
17. (11) 03 Chase Jones (R), El Dorado Springs, Mo., Shaw/, 40, $250.
18. (21) 9 Jerad Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo., GRT/Mullins, 40, $300.
19. (25) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan., GRT/TwoM, 40, $300.
20. (17) 5 Robbie Reed (R), Mexico, Mo., GRT/Mullins, 40, $250.
21. (6) 3j Jake Nightingale (R), Wichita, Kan., Mullens/Mullens, 40, $250.
22. (13) 65 Tyler Davis, Haysville, Kan., Hughes/Hatfield, 39, $250.
23. (22) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Stoen, 38, $300.
24. (2) 4w Tyler Wolff, Fayetteville, Ark., MBCustoms/Hill, 38, $300.
25. (18) 134 Robert Heydenreich (R), Bolivar, Mo., GRT/SCP, 27, $250.
26. (28) 24d Donnie Fellers (R), Wheatland, Mo., MBCustoms/Todd, 23, $250.
27. (23) 8s Jon Sheets, Nevada, Mo., MBCustoms/Hatfield, 18, $250.
28. (20) 292 Kyle Thompson (R), Joplin, Mo., Shaw/Karl, 12, $300.
29. (8) 17 Mike Striegel (R), Wheatland, Mo., GRT/Driskell, 7, $300.
(R) = Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: Wolff 1-19, Sanders 20-40.
Total Laps Led: Sanders 21, Wolff 19.
Margin of Victory: 0.768 second.
Time of Race: 25 minutes, 21.829 seconds (4 cautions).
Provisional Starters: Allen, Kates, Gibbs (track), Feller (track), Wheeler (track).
Eibach Spring Forward Award: Sanders (advanced 21 positions).
FK Rod Ends Hard Charger: Sanders (started 14th, finished 1st).
Next Race: Sunday, Aug. 4, Monett Motor Speedway, Monett, Mo.
Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship Points: Sanders 2076, Ramirez 1895, Marriott 1805, Gustin 1777, O'Neil 1705, Phillips 1645, VanderBeek 1460, Striegel 1284, Kates 1277, Duvall 1187.
Casey’s Hunt for the USMTS National Championship Points: Sanders 194, Phillips 194, Ramirez 190, Marriott 174, Whitwell 154, Fuqua 142, O'Neil 135, VanderBeek 129, J. Allen 126, Duvall 125.
Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year Points: Marriott 1805, Striegel 1284, Carlos Ahumada Jr. 549, Hodges 522, Nathan Hagar 415.
USMTS Manufacturers Championship Points: Hatfield 165, Cornett 153, KSE 114, Durham 111, Stoen 102.
USMTS Engine Builder of the Year Points: MBCustoms 188, Hughes 186, GRT 139, LG2 134, Rage 133.
American Racer – TBD.
Beyea Custom Headers – Marriott.
Bryke Racing – Gibbs.
BSB Manufacturing – Nightingale.
Casey’s General Stores – TBD.
Champ Pans – O’Neil.
Deatherage Opticians – Fuqua.
E3 Spark Plugs – Phillips.
Edelbrock – Phillips.
Eibach – Sanders.
Fast Shafts – Domer.
FK Rod Ends – Sanders.
Hooker Harness – Middaugh.
Integra Racing Shocks & Springs – Fuller.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts – Jones.
K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers Motorsports – Sheets.
Keyser Manufacturing – Whitwell.
KSE Racing Products – Domer.
Maxima Racing Oils – Sanders.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Kates.
PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain – TBD.
QA1 – Marriott.
RacerWebsite.com – Fennewald.
Simpson Performance Products – Marriott.
Swift Springs – Sanders, Pursley.
Sybesma Graphics – Domer.
Tire Demon – Duvall.
VP Racing Fuels – Sanders.
Wilwood Disc Brakes – Pursley.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Casey’s General Stores, Chevrolet Performance, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Intercomp, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers Motorsports, KSE Racing Products, Malvern Bank, Mesilla Valley Transportation, MSD, MyRacePass, Nitroquest Media, Pace Performance, PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain, RacinDirt.com, RacingJunk.com, Snickers, Spike Hardcore Energy, Summit Racing Equipment, VP Racing Fuels, Wrisco Industries.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Boubin Tire & Automotive, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, Eagle Moon Farm, Impact RaceGear, PBM Performance Products, RACEceiver, Rancho Milagro Racing, River’s Edge Scrap Management, Tony Moro Powder Coat, Top of the World Ranch, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, Brown & Miller Racing Solutions, Bryke Racing, BSB Manufacturing, Champ Pans, E3 Spark Plugs, Edelbrock, Forty9 Designs, Genesis Racing Shocks, Hooker Harness, Hyperco, Integra Racing Shocks and Springs, Keyser Manufacturing, Maxima Racing Oils, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1, RacerWebsite.com, Real Racing Wheels, Simpson Performance Products, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wilwood Racing.
Kenton Allen T-shirts are available is youth sizes and adult sizes up to 4XL in a high-quality 50/50 red design. You can pick them up at the track or order online!